[rkward-devel] Optionset UI rework (was: Usability progress, testing on Mac)

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Oct 30 16:42:51 UTC 2015

Hi!

Splitting this into a new thread to make it easier to follow. I have
now merged the optionset UI rework into "master", which means it will
start being part of the daily builds, tomorrow. To follow more closely,
in your git clone, simply do

  git checkout master
  git pull --rebase

(Only the second line is needed to fetch updates, later).

State now, and open questions:

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 14:13:02 +0000 (UTC)
Jan Wort <d_jan at ymail.com> wrote:
> - + and x in the Table:    - great to have a delete button on every
> element    - delete button should be in the last "column" instead of
> the frist

Done.

>     - the + is not needed on every element the + on the bottom of the
> list is sufficient

Done.

> - Love the fold/unfold mechanism: details and
> overview in one Interface!
> - Klicking on the + only would be o (instead of the whole row, which
> is unusual and thus hard(er) to remember). Or, as alternative fix:
> make the whole last row highlight on hover, to signalize that it can
> be clicked

Not entirely sure what you have in mind (and not quite sure, which
version you were looking at; this had some last minute formatting
changes around the time you had a look).

> - The + and x buttons at the bottom can go. They are not
> needed and confuse imho.

Yes, these were just a leftover. Done.

> - There should be some "visual coherence" of
> a row and it‘s edit view (that the row one opened and the fields in
> the detail view belong together), and a (minor) seperation from the
> opened row/its details from other entries. Is there a way to style
> the table/Tree, possibly with horizontal lines or a background or
> both? (just tell me what is possible, and I try to come up with a
> solution in this constraints)

See my other mail.

> Other Sets (B, connected, driven):- I
> prefer A (the 1st) over B vor various usability and efficiency
> reasons.
> - I did not test the Connected and the driven set, but they both seem
> o.k., it would be a nice addition if clicking the variable (in the
> picker) would open the corresponding details in the optionset (so the
> users sees that they are connected)

Can probably be done, not done yet. Will probably also need some
per-plugin code (i.e. plugin authors will have to enable this feature,
explicitly).

> - In a similar direction: We
> should get rid of the # in the option set or include it in the
> variables-part of the picker too, so the user can connect these two
> lists mentally more easier (since they look more similar than)

The index column is now hidden by default (and in fact, at the time of
the writing, there is no way to enable it). The interesting question is
whether there is any use-case where the index column is actually
helpful. Otherwise I'll just rip it out.

Originally, I had added it, thinking it would be helpful to indicate
that rows would take effect in a specific order. E.g. sort first by
row "1", then by row "2", etc. Now that may still be rather
self-explanatory without an index column. Would anybody miss it?