[rkward-devel] RKTeaching [was: Usability: Reading CSV]

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Oct 11 10:48:10 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 20:20:58 +0200
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> my main intention here was to first make sure the dialogs are all
> syntactically checked before we start translating. if the scripting
> process later leads to changes in the resulting plugin files,
> wouldn't the *.pot files also change and need to be fixed?

the .pot files would not be affected (not in a meaningful way, that is),
unless fixes concern elements that are directly related to i18n, e.g.
typos in "label" or "i18n_context". Other than that the .pot files are
designed to allow for certain kinds of changes without rendering
existing translations obsolete.

> i'm not sure if its more comfortable to translate the spanish strings
> in the xml/js/rkh/pluginmap files or in one single script file
> containig all of the plugin, to get to the english base version.
> diffs are no problem, as we'd later have the spanish script and the
> english translated one.
>
> i'm also interested the other way round: this is a great opportunity
> to spot problems in rkwarddev, too.
>
> since we're not in a hurry (alfredo mentioned he's busy until
> christmas) it shouldn't hurt to try this and see if it's really as
> easy as i thing it should be. ok?

Yes, since Alfredo can't start, immediately, we have some time to
experiment. However, I'd suggest, we _first_ import everything into
rkward-community/external-plugins, and split up into separate chunks /
pluginmaps as specified by Alfredo (thanks!). This way we'll have a
meaningful baseline that we can go back to in case of trouble /
unexpected delays.

Once that is sorted out, I think it will also make sense to contact the
KDE Spanish team. Perhaps they can help us, get started, too. If so,
we'll have to discuss a good workflow. Perhaps it really does not
matter, whether we do the translating before or after going to
rkwarddev. The important constraint is, that for each chunk of plugins,
we should not do any modifications as soon as translation
Spanish->English has started, until re-adding an English->Spanish
translation has been completed.

@Alfredo, what exactly is the state of things that we should
import? rkTeaching_es has quite a number of commits that rkTeaching
does not appear to have. Does it make sense at all to look into
rkTeaching rather than rkTeaching_es? There are also some copies of
"official" RKWard plugins, e.g. plot_options. Do these contain
modifications other than translation to Spanish? I.e. would we keep
these in rkTeaching, would we try to merge enhancements into RKWard, or
would they be obsolete as soon as the corresponding "official" plugins
have a Spanish translation?