[rkward-devel] Usability: Reading CSV

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Oct 2 10:55:47 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 11:41:02 +0200
jan <d_jan at ymail.com> wrote:
> Am 02.10.2015 um 10:58 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > Please test / look at it.
> My connection is rather slow and barely does mail well at the moment,
> so I don’t know when I can check this out :-(

If you don't mind a hackish solution, you can copy import_csv.xml,
import_csv.rkh, and import_csv.js from

https://phabricator.kde.org/diffusion/RKWARD/browse/master/rkward/plugins/00saveload/import/

to /usr/share/kde4/apps/rkward/00saveload/import (or whereever your
RKWard plugins reside).

> How is "read.table() default" different from the current "none"? (or
> better worded, hos is it different from a "custom" (instead of
> "none") setting, in which you just set your values, like discussed
> above?)

Well, there was another bug attached to this: read.table() is what you
would have got, if you had been able to start the plugin with "Custom"
preset (which used to be the way it was started, but we changed that
to CSV for good reason, causing the regression). Changing back to
"Custom" did / does not affect any settings. It does specify some
an interesting set of defaults that should be easily accessible:

  - any whitespace as col sep
  - either " or ' as quoting chars
  - # denoting comments

So, in fact those are five distinct presets, corresponding to five
distinct R functions. Now the semantics of the "Custom" option may
still hold some potential for surprise: Selecting any other option in
the control changes some settings. Selection "Custom" does not affect
any settings. In the new version it is essentially just an indicator
that current settings do not correspond to one of the presets.