[rkward-devel] [rkward/work/remove_khtml] /: WIP: Start actually replacing KHTMLPart with QWebView / QWebPage.

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Mar 6 09:03:26 UTC 2015

hi,

Am Freitag, 6. März 2015, 08:45:19 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 22:40:50 +0100 meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-
> duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> > can you tell me what needs to be done to not start RKWard with german
> > translations? i tried setting various environemnt varaibles and even
> > configured KDE to use english globally -- no effect, RKWard still
> > started up in german.
>
> you can use
>   KDE_LANG=xy rkward
> Where "xy" can be set to "C" for no translation or "en" for English.

i tried that (among other variables like LANG or LANGUAGE), it doesn't have
any visible effect. i tried

 KDE_LANG=C rkward
 KDE_LANG=c rkward
 KDE_LANG="c" rkward
 KDE_LANG="EN" rkward
 KDE_LANG=EN rkward
 KDE_LANG=en rkward

it always turns out to remain german.

> Another quite useful value is "x-test"

interestingly, this one *does* work.

> No idea, why the global setting should not have an effect
[...]
> Do other KDE apps react to this?

yes, other apps started up in english immediately after the change, but RKWard
didn't.

> > it also always started with a warning when
> > invoked by calling rkward in a terminal:
> [...]
>
> This likely indicates that you are starting a different, and not fully
> installed (or partially overwritten) version of RKWard on the terminal.
> Try
>   which rkward
> Also check the details button, it probably complains about a mismatch
> in "rk.app.version".

thanks for the hint, i found the problem: i had a development copy of the
rkward R package in a private library, removed that and the error was gone.

> If you observe any functional difference between other KDE apps and RKWard,
> in this respect, do let me know.

well, here you are ;-)