[rkward-devel] optionset bug

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Dec 6 14:03:22 UTC 2015

hi,

Am Sonntag, 6. Dezember 2015, 14:10:37 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> (*) I do note a double/triple frame around package/plugin author(s),
> too. Suggest having just one frame around the complete optionset, and
> no frame inside the optionset.

right, now that you point me to it, that looks ridiculous ;-) i'll try to keep
the "roles" frame but discard the other two.

> Of course, in this case, we're in trouble, anyway (and it means you
> should work on reducing the height(*)...).

reducing the height could work this time, but not be a generic solution. maybe
addressing the scrolling isn't the right starting point. shouldn't the
optionset window just be high enough to show the full set, header and add
button, by default?

whatever, i don't think this is a big problem anyway. it just wasn't too
obvious to me.

> BTW, we also still have Export->Create package skeleton. It is
> not targetted at exactly the same task as "Create RKWard plugin
> skeleton", but it could still use a large number of the options
> implemented in the latter, more or less unchanged. Should we try to
> factor those out as embeddable plugins? Or have one plugin to cover
> both use-cases (but should it be in rkwarddev or in rkward, then)?

hm, mixing them together is probably not so helpful. in fact, the plugin
skeleton code is most likely not executable at all, because it doesn't contain
any dialog objects yet. its main aim is to provide code for copy&paste to get
started with your own rkwarddev script. if i could i would remove the submit
button from it ;-) and have it use rk.local() instead of local() by default.
may i should rename the menu entry into "create RKWard plugin script".

so, making things embeddable would be preferable. that way, i'd also hope to
finally understand how to do that :-D

allthough i'd never use the dialog, because personally i find the standard
package.skeleton() functionality way too limited to be useful. it only gets
you started, then you're lost from there on. i've been busy on this one:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/unDocUMeantIt/roxyPackage/develop/inst/rkward/rkwarddev_roxyPackage_plugin_script.R
it's not finished yet, but similar to the plugin skeleton dialog, the
generated script code can be used not only to turn your functions into a
proper package, but also to maintain the package in the future and take care
of all necessary updates for new releases. unfortunately, the package is not
on CRAN...