[rkward-devel] optionset bug

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Dec 6 13:10:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 13:28:20 +0100
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> you're right! i didn't notice the scrollbar, if i scroll up in the
> optionset i do see the collapse symbol as well. it simply wasn't
> visible at first in the particular plugin i was working on yesterday
> (the plugin skeleton GUI of the rkwarddev package).
>
> can the preference of that scrollable section be set to top
> alignment? it does change to top alignment if i hit the code button
> (code is visible by default here) and stays that way, but it looks to
> me like it's aligned to bottom initially, and therefore hiding the
> collapse symbol.

I see. Scroll logic is currently this (irrespective of row count):
First ensure that the header of the row is visible (scrolling, if
necessary). Then ensure that full editor widget is visible (again,
scrolling, if necessary). This should work, unless the optionset is
forced to be so small that header and editor cannot both be visible at
the same time. Can you confirm that this is the situation?

Of course, in this case, we're in trouble, anyway (and it means you
should work on reducing the height(*)...). I could change the order of
the two scrolls, thereby giving "header visible" priority over "editor
fully visible", if you think that's better? Either way, I have made a
change, that I hope will prevent the optionset from getting squeezed
too much (it was working ok for me, before, but maybe that was just
luck...).

BTW, we also still have Export->Create package skeleton. It is
not targetted at exactly the same task as "Create RKWard plugin
skeleton", but it could still use a large number of the options
implemented in the latter, more or less unchanged. Should we try to
factor those out as embeddable plugins? Or have one plugin to cover
both use-cases (but should it be in rkwarddev or in rkward, then)?

(*) I do note a double/triple frame around package/plugin author(s),
too. Suggest having just one frame around the complete optionset, and
no frame inside the optionset.