[rkward-devel] optionset bug

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Dec 6 19:38:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 15:03:22 +0100
meik michalke <meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:
> shouldn't the optionset window just be high enough to show the
> full set, header and add button, by default?

yes, of course. Again, I did make a change in git (release branch, not
merged to master, yet), and this does reserve some more vertical space
for the optionset. But I'm not entirely sure that it will work
correctly in absolutely every case.

> hm, mixing them together is probably not so helpful. in fact, the
> plugin skeleton code is most likely not executable at all, because it
> doesn't contain any dialog objects yet. its main aim is to provide
> code for copy&paste to get started with your own rkwarddev script. if
> i could i would remove the submit button from it ;-) and have it use
> rk.local() instead of local() by default. may i should rename the
> menu entry into "create RKWard plugin script".

So essentially you'd want to put the generated code into a script,
rather than sending it for evaluation. Perhaps it would not be too
difficult to add that possibility. But it is a somewhat special
requirement, so far...

A different option would be to wrap everything into something like:
f <- tempfile ()
writeLines (deparse (quote (rk.local ({
  [the generated code]
}))), f)
rk.show.files (f)

Not sure, whether that would be desirable, though.

> so, making things embeddable would be preferable. that way, i'd also
> hope to finally understand how to do that :-D

I suggest looking at limit_vector_length for a pretty simple example of
an embeddable plugin. In fact, I believe what you're having
difficulties with is that it's not difficult at all ;-).