[rkward-devel] GUI element for nxn matrix

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat Sep 22 08:32:12 UTC 2012

hi,

am Mittwoch 29 August 2012, 17:14:24 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Design-wise, I'm asking myself whether it would be possible / reasonable to
> base this on the existing data.frame editor. Suppose the current data
> editor would be extended such that:
> - It will handle 2-dimensional matrices. This would make a lot of sense on
> it's own.

definitely! this would be a huge enhacement. wouldn't it be almost enough to
limit all column types to be the same? this could be visualized by
deactivating/greying out all of the "type" row except for the first cell (of
course there's some more changes needed internally, to then actually write a
matrix()).

at a later point, it would be nice if you could seamlessly turn matrices into
data.frames and vice versa, perhaps in the context menu you get when right-
clicking on the data.frame (e.g., after "enable editing"). visually, this
could toggle the greyed-out type row.

> - It can be confined to a fixed nubmer of rows / columns.

if the special case of one column was suported, you could also use this to
edit vectors just the same :-)