[rkward-devel] [rkward-announce] Upcoming release, call for testing RKWard 0.6.0

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Oct 11 07:36:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wednesday 10 October 2012, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> The problem is, you need to sync from SVN to Launchpad if you want
> Launchpad to be of any use (i.e. up-to-date msgid, no duplicate
> work...). Except if you know that some languages are only translated on
> Launchpad, and others only on SVN...

what I have in mind is this:

 1. The .pot-file will continue to be synced from SVN to launchpad.
 2. The primary place for all .po-files is going to be launchpad.
 3. .po-files will continue to be synced from launchpad to SVN, so that manual
and automatic builds from SVN will continue to have the translations.
 4. .po-files will _not_ be synced from SVN to launchpad. Or at least not
automatically.
 5. Translators who don't not want to use launchpad, can continue to send
their translations to the list. In this case (and if there is no reason to do
otherwise), I will upload those translations to launchpad for them (whereas
previously, I committed them to SVN).

There is still some potential for duplication of work, if a translator starts
working on a .po-file from SVN, while launchpad has a more recent translation.
However, that sort of race-condition can also happen without launchpad. E.g.
if one translator is working from SVN, while another works on a .po-file from
a (preview) release .tar.gz. I'll bring the po/README.svn up to date, and make
sure to include such a notice in source releases, too, hoping to avoid such
conflicts as much as possible(*).

(*) Does anybody happen to know, whether there is a good way to include a
warning like this into a .po-file, directly, so that a translator is likely to
see it, but it does not get into the way, otherwise?