[rkward-devel] windows quirks

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Nov 23 09:12:36 UTC 2012

Hi!

On Thursday 22 November 2012, you wrote:
> Hi Thomase,
>
> please find my answers below.
>
> > - cd to c:\ before starting RKWard
> > - in RKWard setwd ("C:/Documents and Settings/username")
> > - then open the file dialog
>
> This reproduces the crash.

Ok. Too bad. Could you do one more test, and try with C:\Documents and
Settings\username\.rkward as initial directory? That might be a reasonable
compromise, which will at least make it less likely to run into the bug, until
we have actually diagnosed it.

Also, one more thing: If you right click on the "Home"-button, and select
"Edit Entry 'Home'", which location is given?

> Find screenshot of network drives layout attached. I have access to all
> drives, but some servers are located at remote sites resulting in a rather
> slow network connection to those drives if that's relevant.

I guess that is likely to be part of the reason why the file dialog takes so
long to come up. One thing that I noted while testing, here, is that the file-
dialog takes significantly longer to appear, if there is a CD / DVD in the
optical drive. Apparently, the file dialog tries to read some info from all
drives, before it shows. I'll try to give that a look one day (but first I
have to manage to build KDE on my windows box from source).

One thing you *could* try, if it's not much trouble, would be to disconnect
all network drives, and check whether that brings the file dialog to speed.

> > Hm, it's normal for the file dialog to take a while, particularly for the
> > first file dialog you open. Almost one minute sounds *very* long, though.
> > Is
> > the hard-disk working during that time?
>
> My notebook is quite silent and the work environment is loud, so I can't
> tell. Is there a smart way to check other then listening to the hard
> drive?

I don't know. Mine has a small led to indicate disk activity. Don't worry, for
the moment. I might get back to you on this, once I have everything set up to
debug this (no estimate, on when that will be).