[rkward-devel] windows quirks

Enguerrand de Rochefort enguerrand at rochefort.de
Fri Nov 23 14:59:59 UTC 2012

Hi

On Fri, November 23, 2012 10:12, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Thursday 22 November 2012, you wrote:
>> Hi Thomase,
>>
>> please find my answers below.
>>
>> > - cd to c:\ before starting RKWard
>> > - in RKWard setwd ("C:/Documents and Settings/username")
>> > - then open the file dialog
>>
>> This reproduces the crash.
>
> Ok. Too bad. Could you do one more test, and try with C:\Documents and
> Settings\username\.rkward as initial directory? That might be a reasonable
> compromise, which will at least make it less likely to run into the bug,
> until
> we have actually diagnosed it.

Unfortunately still crashing.

> Also, one more thing: If you right click on the "Home"-button, and select
> "Edit Entry 'Home'", which location is given?

C:/Documents and Settings/arochee (my user name)

>> Find screenshot of network drives layout attached. I have access to all
>> drives, but some servers are located at remote sites resulting in a
>> rather
>> slow network connection to those drives if that's relevant.
>
> I guess that is likely to be part of the reason why the file dialog takes
> so
> long to come up. One thing that I noted while testing, here, is that the
> file-
> dialog takes significantly longer to appear, if there is a CD / DVD in the
> optical drive. Apparently, the file dialog tries to read some info from
> all
> drives, before it shows. I'll try to give that a look one day (but first I
> have to manage to build KDE on my windows box from source).

No CD in my drive

> One thing you *could* try, if it's not much trouble, would be to
> disconnect
> all network drives, and check whether that brings the file dialog to
> speed.

Yes, that works. File dialog comes up immediately if no network drives are
mapped.

>> > Hm, it's normal for the file dialog to take a while, particularly for
>> the
>> > first file dialog you open. Almost one minute sounds *very* long,
>> though.
>> > Is
>> > the hard-disk working during that time?
>>
>> My notebook is quite silent and the work environment is loud, so I can't
>> tell. Is there a smart way to check other then listening to the hard
>> drive?
>
> I don't know. Mine has a small led to indicate disk activity. Don't worry,
> for
> the moment. I might get back to you on this, once I have everything set up
> debug this (no estimate, on when that will be).

Sure, don't hesitate, I'm glad if I can help. Note however that my work
laptop will be migrated to Win7 un Dec 04, so any testing you'd like me to
conduct in the current environment must happen before then.

Cheers