[rkward-devel] windows quirks [was: Select cases]

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Nov 6 12:00:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Monday 05 November 2012, meik michalke wrote:
> i have also seen (again) that the file opening dialog reliably crashed
> RKWard 0.6.0. we experimented a little and found out that setting the
> initial working directory to something accessible like
>
>   setwd("C:/")
>
> acts as a workaround, so having this command in the options box can relieve
> you from that problem.

did you track down, what exactly causes the change? I.e. touching the
directory at all, or setting it to something different? In other words, if you
do
   x <- getwd ()
   setwd ("C:/")
   setwd (x)
do file dialogs continue to crash after this?

If yes, do you have any idea what might be "special" about the initial working
directory? You say "accessible". Does that mean the initial working directory
is inaccessible, somehow?

Could you try kwrite or some other application from the KDE installation, to
see whether these suffer from the same problem?

> however, both problems should be solvable in a more
> obvious manner.

I don't think, there's much we can do about the "internet2"-problem, besides
documenting it. Or do you have an idea on how to approach this?

Of course we should fix those pesky file dialog problems, somehow!