[rkward-devel] windows quirks [was: Select cases]

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Nov 20 13:45:37 UTC 2012

hi,

Am Dienstag, 6. November 2012, 13:00:04 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Monday 05 November 2012, meik michalke wrote:
> > i have also seen (again) that the file opening dialog reliably crashed
> > RKWard 0.6.0. we experimented a little and found out that setting the
> > initial working directory to something accessible like
> >
> >   setwd("C:/")
> >
> > acts as a workaround, so having this command in the options box can
> > relieve you from that problem.
>
> did you track down, what exactly causes the change? I.e. touching the
> directory at all, or setting it to something different? In other words, if
> you do
>    x <- getwd ()
>    setwd ("C:/")
>    setwd (x)
> do file dialogs continue to crash after this?

yes they do. it's windows XP, by the way, and the initial wd is
 "C:/Documents and Settings/<user name>"
with "<user name>" replaced by the respective user name.

> If yes, do you have any idea what might be "special" about the initial
> working directory?

i have no clue.

> You say "accessible". Does that mean the initial working directory is
> inaccessible, somehow?

i just meant that anyone can read the directory. i didn't test this too hard,
but to me this looks like the file browsing dialog tries to access the wd,
fails and crashes the whole application. i've noticed that aaron also reports
the issue in a screencast and managed to work around it by running RKWard with
admin rights:
 o http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SiDjap-m9o#t=1m07s

as this also seems to solve the issue, i assume it's some weird access rights
problem. [and of course it's not a real solution to run RKWard with such
privileges...]

> > however, both problems should be solvable in a more
> > obvious manner.
>
> I don't think, there's much we can do about the "internet2"-problem, besides
> documenting it. Or do you have an idea on how to approach this?

well, since the solution here is always the same, the windows version of
RKWard could have a simple checkbox to set this option, rather than typing in
the function call. something similar could be done for the initial working
directory, for all platforms and not as a checkbox, but as an input field with
an optional file selector dialog. the second is not a fix, but makes it more
comfortable to workaround (besides, i'd find an option to set the startup
working directory useful anyway).

  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf