[rkward-devel] windows quirks [was: Select cases]

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Mon Nov 5 17:28:24 UTC 2012

hi joan,

am Montag 05 November 2012, 16:11:05 schrieb Rebel Tyrcus:
> I tried the plugin at home (linux) and it worked flawlesly.

cool, thanks for the feedback. does it do what you want/need?

> At work (windows) I was guesing is just a proxy problem. I remembered
> that for R I had to modifiy the direct access to the program in the
> desktop, starting R with the flag --internet2. Apparently, this causes
> R using IE proxy internals, otherwise R cannot connect to CRAN servers
>
> "C:\Archivos de programa\R\R-2.15.2\bin\i386\Rgui.exe" --internet2

i received another mail from a user running into the same problem on windows
(proxy settings in his company, CRAN downloads failed). thanks for this hint!

according to
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#The-Internet-download-
functions-fail_002e

calling

  setInternet2(TRUE)

in a running R session should have the same effect, can you confirm this? if
that is the case, you could try to add this command to

  settings -> configure RKWard -> R-backend -> options box at the bottom

i have also seen (again) that the file opening dialog reliably crashed RKWard
0.6.0. we experimented a little and found out that setting the initial working
directory to something accessible like

  setwd("C:/")

acts as a workaround, so having this command in the options box can relieve
you from that problem. however, both problems should be solvable in a more
obvious manner.