[rkward-devel] compression in save object dialog

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Tue Mar 6 09:04:15 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sunday 04 March 2012, meik michalke wrote:
> bzip2 and xz compression were introduced with R >= 2.10. if you like this
> change to the save object dialog, should we lift the minimum R requirements
> for RKWard from 2.9 to 2.10?

I would be reluctant to lift the hard requirements to R 2.10.0 for this
change. Arguably, I doubt anybody is using a current version of RKWard in
combination with R 2.9, and so we certainly shouldn't worry much about
breaking some features in this cominbation. But as long as _almost_ everything
is still working with that setup, and supporting ancient versions does not
make things too difficult for us, I think we should not add a _hard_ restriction
about this.

Instead, I would suggest to add the requirement in import_export.pluginmap.
While that meta-data still isn't interpreted by RKWard, at least that
documents the fact, internally.