[rkward-devel] New Mac package installer

Aaron Batty abatty at sfc.keio.ac.jp
Mon Aug 27 00:44:27 UTC 2012

> > I have installed RKWard 0.5.7 on both a 10.7 and a 10.8 VM without issue.
>
> just to be sure: does this mean that the automatic postinstall steps work,
> i.e., you simply klick through the installer and don't have to manually run
> the launchctl/update-mime-database commands any longer? that would be
> awesome.

Sorry, my message was poorly worded. I didn't even understand it when I
went back and read it. I've been crazy-busy.

Yes, the automatic post-install scripts seem to be working. One just starts
the installer .pkg, it installs, and then RKWard seems to work. I have
installed it on both a virgin 10.7 and a virgin 10.8 VM. After installation
I ran the following analyses (these are the ones I know I'll need for my
course):

--Import tab-delimited data file
--Import SPSS .sav data file
--Basic Statistics (mean, SD, median, quartiles, range, IQR)
--Correlation of two variables
--Cross-tab with chi-square
--Linear regression of one variable onto another
--Boxplot

Everything worked great. No errors.

The Mac installation is now even smoother than the Windows installation.
Congratulations!

> > BTW, with the previous installer, I installed on VMs, and one each (10.7
> > and 10.8) on real computers. No errors, and I was able to do all the
> > analyses I will need for the class I'm teaching.
>
> with or without the manual steps? there is actually not so much difference
> between the two installers, it's basically the postinstall configuration
> which
> should run automatically now.

Yes, with the previous. I mean that there is no functional difference
between the old process requiring 2 terminal commands (and copying over the
MIME files) and the new installer. They seem to be equivalent, so your
script seems to have worked.