[rkward-devel] rkward on mac

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 28 15:15:02 UTC 2011

On Friday 25 November 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> you might be right, i just took what worked. i'm wondering though how an
> X11 based installation would be triggered if the rkward script is not in
> the application menu?

No idea. But at least in the definition of KDE4_ADD_EXECUTABLE, Q_WS_MAC is
used, too, to control creation of a BUNDLE (at least as far as I understand
it), rather than APPLE.

> actually i believe the install target for rbackend could be omitted
> completely, as rkward.rbackend ends up in the .app directory with
> rkward.frontend anyway.

Well that would be a bit tricky, though, since the rbackend target is not
created unconditionally. And the logic to control, whether or not it is, is in
rbackend/CMakeLists.txt, not the main CMakeLists.txt.

(BTW: This is to allow building a single-process variant of RKWard, as before
RKWard 0.5.5. And the main reason, why I did not remove support for that, yet,
is that I'm not quite sure, whether / how it will be possible to support
graphics device embedding across processes on Mac. Anyway, that's a whole
different story, altogether).

> there's probably a lot which could be done much smarter than i did now,
> it's the result of countless builds/installs, changing one thing at a time
> and examining the actual effects -- this is all new for me as well ;-) for
> the time being, this seems to install everything to where it's supposed to
> be, and we can now try different options to reach comparable results.

Yes, of course. It's just that platform specific switches always tend to make
me nervous, since it's so hard to test any changes that you may wish make to
them, at a later point of time. So, please just keep in mind to clean up as
good as reasonably possible, when you're done.

> > > and a small detail: the little RKWard icon was missing in the R
> > > package dialog (for enhancing packages).
> >
> > Was missing, or is missing?
>
> *is* missing.

Hm, the icon is supposed to come from lines 928 and 1009 of
dialogs/rkloadlibsdialog.cpp. As you can see, it's simply
QApplication::windowIcon(). Since, as far as I can see on your screenshot,
windows do have the RKWard icons, I don't really understand, why this appears
to fail. You could try replacing it with
   RKWardMainWindow::getMain ()->windowIcon ()
(you'll have to add
   #include "../rkward.h"
near the top of the file, too).