[rkward-devel] rkward on mac

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Nov 25 22:02:06 UTC 2011

hi,

Am Freitag 25 November 2011, 19:34:59 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Minor nitpick: I believe that should probably be
>    IF(Q_WS_MAC)
> instead of
>    IF(APPLE)
> in the cmake files. If I understand correctly, the latter will also be
> triggered for X11-flavored builds. And, IIRC, for those, the install
> locations are more Linux-like (at least they were, when I tried with fink,
> a long time ago).

you might be right, i just took what worked. i'm wondering though how an X11
based installation would be triggered if the rkward script is not in the
application menu?

> Could the variable RKWARD_FRONTEND_LOCATION also be used as DESTINATION for
> rkward.rbackend? That would save one platform switch in
> rbackend/CMakeLists.txt.

actually i believe the install target for rbackend could be omitted
completely, as rkward.rbackend ends up in the .app directory with
rkward.frontend anyway.

there's probably a lot which could be done much smarter than i did now, it's
the result of countless builds/installs, changing one thing at a time and
examining the actual effects -- this is all new for me as well ;-) for the
time being, this seems to install everything to where it's supposed to be, and
we can now try different options to reach comparable results.

> > so far, everything seems to be working.
> > except of course for the graphics devices (well, once you plot anything
> > from RKWard's console, X11 is fired up and produces a normal R graphics
> > device).
>
> Is that really X11, not Quartz? Interesting.

well, that might finally be caused by my using the R port (and not R-
framework), because it supports only X11 on Lion. it surely is X11, you can
tell by the jumping "X" image and popup message ;-)

> > and a small detail: the little RKWard icon was missing in the R
> > package dialog (for enhancing packages).
>
> Was missing, or is missing?

*is* missing.

> > i'm building my first binary meta package right now, which includes all
> > dependencies.
>
> Cool! I wonder how large that will get...

i can't tell yet. it seems i'll have to build everything all over again, for
two reasons:

 1. to include dependencies in the package/image, you must deactivate
    MacPorts' autoclean feature *before* you install all the ports. otherwise
    you end up with a package full of almost nothing (i can tell...)

 2. if you want to distribute a binary package later, the ports should not
    be installed to MacPorts' default /opt/local, to not conflict with using
    MacPorts at the same time