[rkward-devel] rkward on mac

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Nov 25 18:34:59 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Friday 25 November 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> huge success! :-) having rkward.rbackend in the same directory as
> rkward.frontend did resolve the problem. i already committed some changes
> to the cmake files to svn, so with the updated portfile
>  o http://reaktanz.de/stuff/R/Portfile
> you should get RKWard on Mac up and running!

this is great news!

> it will also move the shell script to /Applications/... and includes an
> icon, so RKWard appears as any other installed software and can be
> launched as one would expect.

Minor nitpick: I believe that should probably be
   IF(Q_WS_MAC)
instead of
   IF(APPLE)
in the cmake files. If I understand correctly, the latter will also be
triggered for X11-flavored builds. And, IIRC, for those, the install locations
are more Linux-like (at least they were, when I tried with fink, a long time
ago).

Could the variable RKWARD_FRONTEND_LOCATION also be used as DESTINATION for
rkward.rbackend? That would save one platform switch in
rbackend/CMakeLists.txt.

> so far, everything seems to be working.
> except of course for the graphics devices (well, once you plot anything
> from RKWard's console, X11 is fired up and produces a normal R graphics
> device).

Is that really X11, not Quartz? Interesting.

> and a small detail: the little RKWard icon was missing in the R
> package dialog (for enhancing packages).

Was missing, or is missing?

> i'm building my first binary meta package right now, which includes all
> dependencies.

Cool! I wonder how large that will get...