[rkward-devel] rkward on mac

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Nov 24 18:08:07 UTC 2011

hi,

Am Donnerstag 24 November 2011, 16:56:44 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > since r.xml conflicts with the kate port, i apply the patch above to
> > remove it from installation.
>
> In the debian packaging, the files are first installed to a temporary
> directory, then r.xml is removed from that, and then the archive is
> created. I don't know, how macports works, but if the procedure is similar,
> then this approach might be easier/cleaner than patching CMakeLists.txt.

it's a little different. MacPorts doesn't create archives to install, it works
more like an automated "./configure && make && make install", where you define
the specifics for each phase of the process in the portfile. you can then
later create precompiled binaries, but they are more like the packaged result
of a source compiling portfile like this one, so either way this is the basic
build process.

but as long as the CMake file doesn't change all the time, it works just fine.

> (Otherwise, we could consider adding a cmake parameter to control whether
> r.xml will be installed).

that would be even more elegant, would result in a special install target,
right?

> Ok, so I guess the target state is:
> /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/rkward.app/Contents/Info.plist
> /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/rkward.app/Contents/MacOS/rkward   (the usual
> wrapper scripts)
> /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/rkward.app/Contents/MacOS/rkward.shell (?)
> /opt/local/lib/kde4/libexec/rkward.rbackend
> /opt/local/lib/kde4/libexec/rkward.frontend
>
> All others are probably ok. I don't really have a clue how to get there,
> though.

the *.shell scripts are created by cmake and include path/environment
information.

there's a lot of cmake magic going on anyway, and MacPorts has some defaults
set on its own, my hope is we just need to figure out the right configure
options without changing too much in the sources really. well, let's see...

> > fetching the available packages list didn't bring up the dialog to
> > chose a mirror, and when i closed the management dialog RKWard crashed
> > completely.
>
> Well, that does not sound quite perfect, yet ;-).

no, not really... in fact, there seems to be something odd going on with the
whole R backend. you can even see in the screenshot that the R indicator is
yellow, it never reaches a green state. this means, e.g., you can't use
RKWard's R console, you'd just wait forever. if you then close RKWard, a
window reminds you that there are R processes running and stopping them could
cause data loss. R started in a console behaves as usual.

can this perhaps be related to RKWard not being compiled as an X11 application
(at least it looks like it), while the R port lacks Aqua support on Lion? [i
could try to test that with an R binary package from CRAN instead of the port
i used now, as the alternative R-framework port won't compile]. but not before
tomorrow.