[rkward-devel] rkward on mac

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Nov 24 15:56:44 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thursday 24 November 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> first of all, i made progress -- a working(!) portfile:
>  o http://reaktanz.de/stuff/R/Portfile
> it needs this patch:
>  o http://reaktanz.de/stuff/R/patch-rkward-syntax-CMakeLists.txt.diff
> it fetches the trunk sources via svn and invokes the usual build process.
> we can later change it to use a stable release, but this should be handy
> for now.

cool! That's definitely a start.

> the portfile installation will install RKWard to /opt/local. since r.xml
> conflicts with the kate port, i apply the patch above to remove it from
> installation.

In the debian packaging, the files are first installed to a temporary directory,
then r.xml is removed from that, and then the archive is created. I don't
know, how macports works, but if the procedure is similar, then this approach
might be easier/cleaner than patching CMakeLists.txt.

(Otherwise, we could consider adding a cmake parameter to control whether
r.xml will be installed).

> Am Mittwoch, 23. November 2011, 19:42:04 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > On Wednesday 23 November 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> kate is installed as
>
>   /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/kate.app/Contents/MacOS/kate
>
> all KDE applications have such a /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/*.app/
> directory, which also makes them available through finder as installed
> programs. i've added the full output of both "port contents kate" and
> "port contents rkward" below, so you can see where each file ends up as of
> now.

Ok, so I guess the target state is:
/Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/rkward.app/Contents/Info.plist
/Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/rkward.app/Contents/MacOS/rkward   (the usual
wrapper scripts)
/Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/rkward.app/Contents/MacOS/rkward.shell (?)
/opt/local/lib/kde4/libexec/rkward.rbackend
/opt/local/lib/kde4/libexec/rkward.frontend

All others are probably ok. I don't really have a clue how to get there,
though.

> i still need to symlink rkward.frontend manually so the rkward binary finds
> it. after that, RKWard will sucessfully start, finds its plugins and looks
> like it should! i haven't tested too much yet, but the first thing i
> noticed was that R package management doesn't seem to work: fetching the
> available packages list didn't bring up the dialog to chose a mirror, and
> when i closed the management dialog RKWard crashed completely.

Well, that does not sound quite perfect, yet ;-). Do you get a backtrace? What
happens, if you run chooseCRANmirror() on the RKWard R Console (if a dialog
comes up, does it have an RKWard icon?

If no backtrace is available, set debug level to 5 at Settings->Configure
RKWard->Debug, produce the crash, and post the log files from the temporary
directory (as listed by rk.sessionInfo()).