[rkward-devel] rkward on mac

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Nov 24 19:11:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thursday 24 November 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> > (Otherwise, we could consider adding a cmake parameter to control whether
> > r.xml will be installed).
>
> that would be even more elegant, would result in a special install target,
> right?

ok, I've done that (without adding an extra target for it). Simply add "-
DNO_R_XML=1" to your cmake line to get rid of it.

> there's a lot of cmake magic going on anyway, and MacPorts has some
> defaults set on its own, my hope is we just need to figure out the right
> configure options without changing too much in the sources really. well,
> let's see...

Yes.

> no, not really... in fact, there seems to be something odd going on with
> the whole R backend. you can even see in the screenshot that the R
> indicator is yellow, it never reaches a green state. this means, e.g., you
> can't use RKWard's R console, you'd just wait forever. if you then close
> RKWard, a window reminds you that there are R processes running and
> stopping them could cause data loss. R started in a console behaves as
> usual.
>
> can this perhaps be related to RKWard not being compiled as an X11
> application (at least it looks like it), while the R port lacks Aqua
> support on Lion? [i could try to test that with an R binary package from
> CRAN instead of the port i used now, as the alternative R-framework port
> won't compile]. but not before tomorrow.

I doubt it. X11 or Aqua should not come into play until you actually use
graphics functions. My first guess is that the R backend is not started at all.
Check the process list for rkward.rbackend. This could be simply another
installation problem, too. rkward.frontend looks for rkward.rbackend in its
own directory and in the subdirectory "rbackend" of that. I'm not sure what
that results in, when there is a symlink, but it could certainly fail at this
point (and there is no dedicated error handling for this scenario).

I suggest to start by moving (not linking) the files to the folders as I have
outlined, in my previous mail, then try again. (Simply copying rkward.rbackend
to the folder where rkward.frontend is in, might also do the trick, though).

If that does not work, the next thing to check is the "Command Log" and
"Pending Jobs" windows (will give clues as to where the backend startup
procedure gets stuck). As a last resort, starting RKWard with
   rkward --debug-level 5
and then inspecting the log files should provides us with enough info to pin
down the point of failure.