[rkward-devel] RKWard-devel Digest, Vol 63, Issue 5

Mischa Vreeburg m.d.vreeburg at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:30:14 UTC 2011

Hi,
I tried several things.

>Date: 8 Nov 2011 13:32:20 +0100
>From: "Thomas Friedrichsmeier"

> >Hi,
>
> >On Tuesday 08 November 2011, Mischa Vreeburg wrote:
> >> I'm trying to get the installation bundle rkward for windows to work,
> but
> >> it crashes allways.
> >> When I start rkward.bat, i get the question if I want to save the
> >> workspace.
>
> >ok, that's a cross-platform quirk. You will want to go to
> Settings->Configure
> >RKWard->General, and set "Startup Action" to "Show selection dialog
> >(default)", to restore a more useful behavior.

This solved the problem of the saving of the workspace. The setting was on
ask if you want to open a file

> >> If I press cancel, rkward starts as normal.
> >> I can install packages, run R, run the plugins,
> >> BUT any interaction, which tries to load/open/save files crashes Rkward.
> >> The Same behaviour is seen with kwrite.
> >
> >> Therefore my conclusion is that something is biting that interface part.
>
> >Yes, unfortunately the KDE file selection dialog appear to remain a
> source of
> >trouble on Windows. I still don't understand, exactly when or why these
> >problems occur.
>
> >The first thing to check is whether you are using "native" file dialogs
> or not.
> >On the very first start, RKWard should have prompted you about that,
> suggesting
> >to disable "native" file dialogs. However, it appears that there are a few
> >cases, where it's the non-native dialogs that cause trouble. You should
> try
> >with both settings. To do so, start a command shell, enter
>
> >cd C:\your\path\to\RKWard\KDE\bin\kcmshell4.exe platform
>
> >try checking or unchecking the "Use native system file dialogs" option,
> then
> >start kwrite and test. If you have found a setting that works, try that in
> >RKWard.

I could not find a configuration that worked.

> >As to the root cause of the trouble: This is still mysterious to me.
> Among the
> >bug reports on this issue, in the KDE bug tracker, some comments indicate
> that
> >this may be a problem when there are many drive letters (10+), or
> sometimes
> >when some mapped drives are slow (e.g. tape drives). If there is anything
> that
> >might be even remotely unusual about your setup, please let us know.

My setup is windows 7 64 bit:
I have 17+ drives, depending on USB sticks or external hdd.
2 are cd/dvd
4 are from a card reader they show up as usb drives 0 bytes
6 are hard drives
2 are virtual cd/dvd drives
1 is a mapped network drive
1 is 3 1/2 drive
1 is the printer mith USB port

> >> What information do you need to trace the problem?
> >
> >Do you know how to use a debugger? In that case, you could provide us
> with a
> >backtrace of the crash. Start RKWard as
> >  rkward.bat --debugger C:\your\path\to\gdb
> >or attach gdb to a running rkward.frontend.exe process using the "--pid"
> >option.

Here is the gdb session info and the backtrace:

Initializing KDE
Starting RKWard
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.2
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32".
This binary was built by Equation Solution <http://www.Equation.com>...
Reading symbols from C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\\rkward.frontend.exe...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\\rkward.frontend.exe
[New Thread 4396.0x10c8]
[New Thread 4396.0xd20]
[New Thread 4396.0x130c]
[New Thread 4396.0x3e0]
[New Thread 4396.0xab8]
[New Thread 4396.0xdb4]
[New Thread 4396.0xc10]
[New Thread 4396.0x478]
[New Thread 4396.0x1328]
[New Thread 4396.0xdcc]
[New Thread 4396.0x12d8]
[New Thread 4396.0x1300]
[New Thread 4396.0x1100]

0x6a3ccba9 in ZN7QStringC1ERKS_ () from
C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\QtCore4.dll
(gdb) bt
#0  0x6a3ccba9 in ZN7QStringC1ERKS_ () from
C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\QtCore4.dll
#1  0x6a37cfe2 in
ZN16QEventTransition11qt_metacallEN11QMetaObject4CallEiPPv ()
   from C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\QtCore4.dll
#2  0x6a32d4a0 in ZN8QVariantC1ERK7QString () from
C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\QtCore4.dll
#3  0x6592e1d1 in ZN13QStandardItem7setTextERK7QString () from
C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\QtGui4.dll
#4  0x657fc0d2 in ZN13QStandardItemC1ERK7QString () from
C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\QtGui4.dll
#5  0x655b4b46 in ZN9QComboBox10insertItemEiRK5QIconRK7QStringRK8QVariant ()
   from C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\QtGui4.dll
#6  0x7065cc72 in
libkio!_ZN12KUrlComboBox19KUrlComboBoxPrivate13insertUrlItemEPKNS0_13KUrlComboItemE
()
   from C:\PROGRA~2\RKWard\KDE\bin\libkio.dll
#7  0x0028b8a0 in ?? ()
(gdb)

 I hope this helps

M. D. Vreeburg