[rkward-devel] rkward fatal crash

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Nov 6 12:55:02 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sunday 06 November 2011, Dan McCloy wrote:
> What I was doing at the time:
>
> Had just been tweaking a set of seven graphs to plot in a 4x2 layout using
> par(mfcol=).  The graphs were fairly simple scatterplots with Lowess
> curves.  I had gotten all the axes and cex values to where I wanted them,
> and closed the X11 graph window and ran the whole set of graph commands
> again with a CairoPDF() and dev.off() wrapper.  That's when the crash
> occurred.  The PDF was initialized but remains at zero bytes.  The specific
> code is included as an attachment.  Note that I had the following packages
> loaded: Cairo, Hmisc.

[...]

> let me know if i can be of further help in tracking down the source of this
> error.

thanks for your detailed bug report.

I don't have the data objects needed to run the example. I inserted some dummy
plots, instead, but that did not cuase any problems.

This crash might have been RKWard's fault, or it might have been a crash
inside Cairo. Since, as far as I understand, no on-screen device was active at
the time, I believe it is rather likely to be the latter.

Here are some things for you to test:
- If you run the same code again, does the crash happen, again?
- If you run the same code in a "plain" R session on the terminal, what
happens?

If you can reproduce the bug, *and* you can also reproduce it in a terminal R
session, then I suggest to report the bug to the maintainer of the Cairo
package (Simon Urbanek). If you can reproduce the bug, but only inside RKWard,
it would be very helpful, if you could send me the data objects.

If you cannot reproduce the bug, then unfortunately, there is not much anybody
can do about it.