[rkward-devel] rkward fatal crash

Dan McCloy drmccloy at uw.edu
Sun Nov 6 05:31:49 UTC 2011

I just got this error:

 Connection closed unexpectedly. Last error was: QLocalSocket: Remote closed

The R backend will be shut down immediately. This means, you can not use
any more functions that rely on it. I.e. you can do hardly anything at all,
not even save the workspace (but if you're lucky, R already did that). What
you can do, however, is save any open command-files, the output, or copy
data out of open data editors. Quit RKWard after that.

Since this should never happen, please write a mail to
rkward-devel at lists.sourceforge.net, and tell us, what you were trying to
do, when this happened. Sorry!

What I was doing at the time:

Had just been tweaking a set of seven graphs to plot in a 4x2 layout using
par(mfcol=).  The graphs were fairly simple scatterplots with Lowess
curves.  I had gotten all the axes and cex values to where I wanted them,
and closed the X11 graph window and ran the whole set of graph commands
again with a CairoPDF() and dev.off() wrapper.  That's when the crash
occurred.  The PDF was initialized but remains at zero bytes.  The specific
code is included as an attachment.  Note that I had the following packages
loaded: Cairo, Hmisc.

System details:
Ubuntu 10.04 (fully up to date), 32 bit (with Gnome & Compiz, if that
matters)
RKWard version 0.5.7
r-base 2.14.0-1lucid0

let me know if i can be of further help in tracking down the source of this
error.
best
-- dan

Dan McCloy
http://students.washington.edu/drmccloy/
Graduate Research Associate
Department of Linguistics
University of Washington

** please note that we cannot guarantee the confidentiality of information
sent via email **