[rkward-devel] load R data files broken?

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Jun 16 21:54:36 UTC 2011

hi,

am Donnerstag 16 Juni 2011 (16:08) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Which window manager are you using?

it's pretty much a default KDE 4.6 running kwin. except of the upgrade to
4.6.4 a few days ago (from the PPA repo) nothing really changed. but that
doesn't seem to be the issue either. to test that, i upgraded a laptop to KDE
4.6.4 as well, there the plugin still works; the only difference being i'm
running amd64 binaries on my desktop and i386 on the laptop.

i tried switching desktop effects on and off -- no effect.

> Anything uncommon about your setup (multiple displays or the like)?

nope.

> Could you try downgrading RKWard to whatever version synaptic
> offers, and check whether the problem is affected by this?

i downgraded to 0.5.4 (the official natty package -- quite ancient for
04/2011, i'd say). the plugin doesn't work there either! but i can't swear it
ever did, because i don't remember when i used it for the last time... usually
i open whole workspaces. nonetheless, this bothers me now, and i'm really
clueless.

> What happens, if you try to invoke the plugin from the R Console? I.e. try
>   rk.call.plugin ("rkward::load_r_object")
> and perhaps also
>   rk.call.plugin ("rkward::load_r_object", envir.active="1")
> does this show a window?

this also doesn't help. but it helped me noticing that for a glimpse of an eye
something does appear, but it's as if it's immediately being closed again,
like just before it's fully there. just a small grey box that flashes up.

[but if you really want to feel progress, downgrade to 0.5.4 for a minute and
come back. it's awesome what happened to the interface in between just these
two releases :-)]

heinrich-heine-universit"at 40225 d"usseldorf