[rkward-devel] a new approach to external plugins

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Aug 10 07:48:16 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tuesday 09 August 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> > (Timing is a bit difficult, since the metric of interest is time spent
> > with cold disk cache. When the disk cache is hot,
> > .rk.get.installed.packages() is pretty fast, anyway).
>
> doesn't installed.packages() chache its results anyway? i noticed that it's
> really fast if it has been called before.

yes, there are several caches involved. But there is still a very notable
difference between starting RKWard the first time in a session, and starting
RKWard the second time. The disk cache of R library locations is _one_ major
factor in this.

> if we clearly define *one* map which will be found
> automatically, it might also be simpler to include experimental maps
> without having them parsed.

Hm, true. Well, let's simply keep it the way it is, then, and if this isn't
good enough in the long run, it will still be easy enough to change.