[rkward-devel] a new approach to external plugins

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Aug 9 18:56:20 UTC 2011

hi,

am Dienstag 09 August 2011 (19:36) schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Why not limit the search to those packages with Enhances: rkward?

funny, i remember starting that way, but not why i changed it... ;-) but
you're right.

> (Timing is a bit difficult, since the metric of interest is time spent with
> cold disk cache. When the disk cache is hot, .rk.get.installed.packages()
> is pretty fast, anyway).

doesn't installed.packages() chache its results anyway? i noticed that it's
really fast if it has been called before.

> While at it, I'd also suggest splitting the check for pluginmaps into an
> entirely separate function, since this would also have to be called for
> newly installed / updated packages. At startup, internally, we would call
> .rk.find.package.pluginmaps (x$LibPath[x$EnhanceRK],
> x$Package[x$EnhanceRK]) to get a list of installed pluginmaps.

ok, i'll split it up.

> One further potential advantage is that in this approach, packages could
> provide more than just one .pluginmap.

they can now, too, if the main pluginmap includes the others. at fist i used
something like

  dir(x, pattern="*.pluginmap", include.dirs=TRUE)

instead of the now implemented conservative search for
$LibPath/$Package/rkward/$Package.pluginmap, but i was afraid this could mess
up the configuration if someone placed both meta-maps and included ones in the
main dir. if we clearly define *one* map which will be found automatically, it
might also be simpler to include experimental maps without having them parsed.