[rkward-devel] S4 slots

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Apr 21 11:02:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wednesday 20 April 2011, meik michalke wrote:
> in the workspace browser, the namespace display might be improved by the
> possibility to further group objects logically. i'm thinking of subnodes
> for at least functions, methods and classes; which brings me to:

hm. Adding subnodes is a bit tricky. It means changing the underlying "model"
of the object tree.

Something that would be easier to do would be to allow some more sorting on
the type of object. However, I'm not quite sure, what the GUI would look like,
and, in fact, RKWard is still mostly unaware of S3 methods, and not quite
aware of S4 classes, either (to be precise, we now support S4 objects, i.e.
instances of S4 classes, but RKWard does not have any real idea about S4
classes, themselves).

> i don't know if it sounds strange, but at some points i could use a similar
> display of the class definitions a package comes with in the workspace
> browser, to get a quick overview of their structure and slots. perhaps
> rather useless in globalenv, but if each package namespace node had a
> subnode for its own classes, that would be really cool. but i don't know
> if others would find it rather confusing...?

Hm. I don't think the classes belong to the namespace node, logically (and in
fact, packages without a namespace can have classes, too).  And perhaps the
workspace browser is not really the best place to keep information about
classes, in the first place. Rather, I guess we may need a separate "Classes"
tool window.

Something for the feature request tracker, obviously.