[rkward-devel] S4 slots

meik michalke Meik.Michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Apr 20 13:41:34 UTC 2011

hi,

Am Mittwoch, 20. April 2011, 10:30:22 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> > this is already implemented in SVN, right? great :-)
>
> yes. I forgot to write back, although this certainly needs some testing.

i've been using it quite often lately, as the new package i'm working on uses
S4 class objects a lot, and some are a little more complex, with slots which
in turn are objects of other S4 classes. that said, i haven't discovered any
issues so far. works just great!

> Note that S4-slots are also shown in the Workspace browser.

yes, i've seen that. wasn't sure if that's also a new feature, because i
didn't examine these objects that much before. but just now this proves really
useful: amongst other stuff, i've implemented LaTeX' hyphenation algorithm in
R (not really fast, but it gets the job done... various readability formulas
need syllable count), which is of course not 100% accurate. so, being able to
browse through the resultung objects makes it very comfortable to discover and
correct the glitches :-)

> Further, for packages with namespaces, the namespace members are shown, and
> completion on the ":::"- operator should work.

haven't tested too much, but it does work as expected here.

two further ideas:

in the workspace browser, the namespace display might be improved by the
possibility to further group objects logically. i'm thinking of subnodes for
at least functions, methods and classes; which brings me to:

i don't know if it sounds strange, but at some points i could use a similar
display of the class definitions a package comes with in the workspace
browser, to get a quick overview of their structure and slots. perhaps rather
useless in globalenv, but if each package namespace node had a subnode for its
own classes, that would be really cool. but i don't know if others would find
it rather confusing...?

viele grüße :: m.eik

p.s.: i'm about to release my second external plugin soon :-)
 o http://reaktanz.de/stuff/uni-d/kRp/kRp_rkward_readab.png
  heinrich-heine-universit"at d"usseldorf