[rkward-devel] questions on RKWard

Stefan Rödiger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Sun Nov 9 10:09:46 UTC 2008

Am Wednesday 05 November 2008 23:34:16 schrieb Horace Tso:
> Folks,

Hi Horace

> I'm making progress moving from Windows to Linux and have RKward up and
> running. I read somewhere that Rkward's supposed to be the Tinn-R for linux
> and Tinn-R has worked out great for me. So naturally I'd like to do the
> following, if possible,
>
> 1. How to ask Rkward not to load the last saved image. Right now whenever
> it starts, it loads an image from some obscure corner of my directory. I
> can't quite figure out where it gets that image from. On the command line,
> I can do --no-restore. But there seems to be no place to sneak in these
> command line options under Rkward.  A startup config file hidden somewhere?

Actually I quite don't understand what you mean here. Would you be so kind to give a screen shot or
so?

> 2. Customize CTRL-keys. Just out of the box, many menu options do not have
> a control key associated with them. Any way to pick my favorite key?

In certain aspects of RKWard yes on other parts saddly no. Editing R-code depends largely on
functions provided by KDEs Kate editor. This is from the help:

"Most shortcuts are not yet configurable (this will be added in a future release), but you can
configure most shortcuts of the script editor. To do so, open a script editor window, then
choose 'Settings->Configure editor->Short cuts' from the menu."
A lot of these things is hard coded in the source code, therefore there is no easy way for
non-developers to fix according to their needs. Sorry for that. Anyway you can find additional
information in the RKWard help. Sorry but RKWard is still work in progress.

> 3. I'm used to typing ?command on the R-console and get a HTML help page
> pops up. But when I do that, a shockingly large window comes up and
> complains in many words about some error which I can't quite figure out
> what it's saying (sorry don't have linux in front of me right now).

Could please try to give the error output?

> 4. I see there is an 'Output' tab by default. But command results are sent
> to R-console, and nothing seems to happen in 'Output'.

Hope I understand you correctly. The Output tab is used in case you have done any operation from the
menus but not if you use the script editor or the console.

> I have R 2.7.1 running under KDE on openSUSE 10.3.
>
> TIA.
>
> Horace

Just in case Rward turns out not to be what you need, did you consider to run Tinn-R via Wine
(www.winehq.org/)? I tested it and at least it installed and did operations like opening files and
so on. Of course you would also need to install R under Wine. Wine should come as a standard
package with openSUSE. I'm not sure about the version here in Debain/Sid it is 1.0.1.

Kind Regards

Stefan

--
RKWard - Data Analysis Tool-