[rkward-devel] KDE4 porting status

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 22 18:03:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Monday 22 October 2007, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> 2007/10/22, I. Soumpasis <nono.231 at gmail.com>:

> > Alright. Cmake worked. Make worked. Make install did not. Could not find
> > a dir, but it seems that it is not needed because I run rkward locally.
> > Am I wrong?

not quite. Some files are expected to be installed to the KDE standard dirs,
and this should be the KDE4 standard dirs in this case. So a successful make
install is needed (at least once, I'm not currently making any changes to the
installed data files, but when I do, you will have to do make install,
again).

I'm not sure, whether this might be what's causing rkward to crash so early on
your and Prasenjit's systems, but it's certainly something that may cause
trouble.

> CMake Error: Error in cmake code at
> /home/user/Projects/rkward_kde4/build/rkward/cmake_install.cmake:35:
> FILE cannot create directory: /share/apps/rkward. Maybe need administrative
> privileges.

Hm. I'm not sure, where exactly the files should be installed in the Kubuntu
KDE4 setup, but /share/apps/ definitely sounds wrong. Do you have
the "KDEDIR" environment variable set (to a sensible place)?
# echo $KDEDIR

If so, could you redo the cmake step with
# cmake /path -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR

If it is not set, perhaps try
# cmake /path -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/lib/kde4

(you might want to look there, whether there is a share/apps subdirectory with
some kde4 files in there)