[rkward-devel] KDElibs 4c2a dependency prolem installing RKward 0.4.8

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Oct 5 13:17:28 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Friday 05 October 2007, meik michalke wrote:
> oh yes, that's even more comfortable. we could probably compile some sort
> of your-own-package-mini-howto for the web page, what do you think?

yes, that would be a good thing to have. Since those instructions are likely
to change over time, and there will be different instructions for different
systems, I suggest to use the wiki for this. Some bits already exist on
-
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Binaries_and_Build_Scripts
-
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=General_FAQ#Compiling_and_installing
and
- http://rkward.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=System_Specific_Issues
but this information could certainly be organized in a better way (and more
information added). If you would like to look into this, that would be highly
welcome.

> nonetheless, after some backchecking with matthieu, it seems we have a
> bigger issue here:
>
> am Donnerstag, 4. Oktober 2007 (23:53) schrieb Matthieu Stigler:
> > checking for i486-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc-4.2
> > checking for C compiler default output file name...
> > configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
> > See `config.log' for more details.
>
> trying it myself on a rather fresh kubuntu feisty installation, i must
> confirm that this error has a nasty cause: there is no (official) gcc-4.2
> package for feisty. i didn't find a usable backport either. are there
> technical reasons not to allow gcc 4.1 to compile rkward?

Hm, this sounds difficult. On debian, R versions > 2.5.1 are forced to build
with GCC 4.2 (for all I know, there is an issue of some sort with R fortran
code and G77 4.1). In RKWard we need to match that, as otherwise there will
be problems while linking
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=432377).

In the debian/rules, we currently force GCC 4.2 if the installed R version is
> 2.5.1 (this includes the 2.5.1-1 version). While this seems to be correct
for debian, apparently it is not for ubuntu. As a short-term workaround,
removing lines 33-35 in debian/rules should probably do the trick.

Advice on how to deal with this correctly would be great.