[rkward-devel] KDElibs 4c2a dependency prolem installing RKward 0.4.8

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Oct 7 11:52:52 UTC 2007

hi thomas,

am Freitag, 5. Oktober 2007 um 15:17 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> On Friday 05 October 2007, meik michalke wrote:
> > oh yes, that's even more comfortable. we could probably compile some sort
> > of your-own-package-mini-howto for the web page, what do you think?
>
> yes, that would be a good thing to have. Since those instructions are
> likely to change over time, and there will be different instructions for
> different systems, I suggest to use the wiki for this.
[...]
> but this information could certainly be organized in a better way (and more
> information added). If you would like to look into this, that would be
> highly welcome.

i'll probably have a look at this, but don't hold your breath ;-) in the
meantime:

> > trying it myself on a rather fresh kubuntu feisty installation, i must
> > confirm that this error has a nasty cause: there is no (official) gcc-4.2
> > package for feisty. i didn't find a usable backport either. are there
> > technical reasons not to allow gcc 4.1 to compile rkward?
[...]
> As a short-term workaround, removing lines 33-35 in debian/rules should
> probably do the trick.

i can confirm that it worked. on my feisty system, rkward compiled flawless
with gcc-4.1 after commenting out those lines. my attempts, however, to build
the gcc-4.2 packages were soon to be demotivated, due to an unending tail of
unmet dependencies... i then decided it was probably fine to live with that
workaround for feisty, since the next ubuntu release (gutsy) is scheduled for
october 18th, and it comes with gcc-4.2 -- so this problem would solve itself
in no time. at least for all who are able and willing to upgrade. if you
can't, just apply thomas' workaround, and you're fine as well.

viele gruesse :: m.eik

heinrich-heine-universit"at