[rkward-devel] compiling issues (0.4.8a) on gutsy

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Nov 14 13:04:04 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Wednesday 14 November 2007, meik michalke wrote:
> the system was upgraded from feisty, on a fresh gutsy installation some of
> these problems might not occur. take for instance the symlink /usr/bin/gcc,
> which on my system pointed to gcc-4.1, though 4.2 was installed.

hm, so apparently R was built with gcc-4.2, but reports gcc as the compiler.
This seems to be a bug in r-base, then, which will likely also affect source
package installation. Which version of r-base-dev/r-base-core do you have
installed? Perhaps you need to forcibly re-install r-base-core/r-base-dev?

Does anybody else use a fresh gutsy installation? If so, could you check
a) the default version of gcc:
# gcc --version
b) the version R was built with
# ldd /usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so | grep "fortran"
c) the version R thinks should be used for compilation:
# R CMD config CC
and post the output?

> a second symlink was missing and resulted in a "ld: cannot find -lgfortran"
> error. to fix that, a
>   ln -s /usr/lib/lgfortran.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib/lgfortran.so
> would suffice.

Same issue, actually, since the 4.1 version of gfortran was used, while the
4.2 version should have been used.

> and last but not least i think i ran into a bug in the debian/rules script.
> on my system "/usr/bin/R CMD config CC" spits out "gcc -std=gnu99", which
> caused an export-call in the rules script to fail with "export: 4: -std:
> bad variable name". i simply quoted it and all went fine; here's a patch: o
> http://reaktanz.de/stuff/rules.patch

Ah, indeed. Probably we should add quotes on the line above and the line
below, as well. I'll prepare a fix, shortly.