[RkWard-devel] grid plugin error..

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 15:58:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

> I guess it might be better to undo the fix, and leave it at the note in the
> help file. Two issues with the fix:

Ok. Is the xml "Note" text helpful or is that unnecessary?

> 1) This will produce an error, if package grid is not loaded (which is
> fairly likely to be the case, if it is really a standard plot). To work
> around this, we'd need to either require the grid package in this plugin,
> or use some complicated tryCatch() logic. Neither is desirable, I think.
>
> 2) I guess producing an error may be no worse or actually better than to
> silently do nothing. At least this gives the info "something went wrong".

I see.

> Currently I'm thinking, we may perhaps use the plot.new() hook. We'd then
> keep a list of which devices plot.new() has been called on, and enable the
> grid plugin only for those, where it has been called. Actually this would
> also catch the case, where a device window has been created, but nothing
> has been plotted, yet. This is going to be a not-so-trvial change, though,
> so I'd rather not try anything for 0.4.7. I guess it's a bug we can live
> with for this release.

When on this issue of keeping a list of devices, it would be nice to keep an
eye on recordPlot() and replayPlot(). And a tabbook type of graphics display,
much along the lines of "pages" on graphics display from Splus! May then we
can export multiple devices to the same file.

Regards
PK