[RkWard-devel] grid plugin error..

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 29 15:16:28 UTC 2007

Hi Prasenjit,

On Thursday 29 March 2007 16:30, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> I have added a small "fix" to this issue. And also noted it in the help
> file. Hope the fix is acceptable for now.

I guess it might be better to undo the fix, and leave it at the note in the
help file. Two issues with the fix:

1) This will produce an error, if package grid is not loaded (which is fairly
likely to be the case, if it is really a standard plot). To work around this,
we'd need to either require the grid package in this plugin, or use some
complicated tryCatch() logic. Neither is desirable, I think.

2) I guess producing an error may be no worse or actually better than to
silently do nothing. At least this gives the info "something went wrong".

Currently I'm thinking, we may perhaps use the plot.new() hook. We'd then keep
a list of which devices plot.new() has been called on, and enable the grid
plugin only for those, where it has been called. Actually this would also
catch the case, where a device window has been created, but nothing has been
plotted, yet. This is going to be a not-so-trvial change, though, so I'd
rather not try anything for 0.4.7. I guess it's a bug we can live with for
this release.