[RkWard-devel] HTML output

Stefan Roediger stefan_roediger at gmx.de
Wed Mar 21 17:34:55 UTC 2007

Am Mittwoch, 21. März 2007 18:12 schrieb Thomas Friedrichsmeier:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 20 March 2007 22:53, Stefan Roediger wrote:
> > I added some information about the usage of the HTML output in an
> > external application. Actually I planed to add some sentences about
> > images and so on too. But while I was testing my ideas I stumbled over
> > some thins. I found that KWord handles HTML really poor in contrast to
> > OpenOffice.org. Images are not shown on KWord when imported from HTML and
> > tables look different (though still correct regarding the content).
> > Moreover copy and paste is limited too. Or one can drag and drop images
> > from RKWard within KDE for example in KWord, OpenOffice.org or Konqueror
> > but should I mention this? Is this only a KDE feature (would it work on
> > Gnome  ...)? What are your thoughts or ideas how external application can
> > be used for further processing of results? I would like to give the
> > inexperienced (RKWard) user some starting points. I find this issue
> > rather important since one goal of RKWard is to "take care of seamless
> > integration with an office-suite".
>
> this is certainly the goal that we've made the least progress on so far, so
> indeed some help on that would be a good thing to cover up for the
> deficiencies of the app itself.
>
> I have not looked at your questions, in details, yet.

No hurry. This is something for long term.

> One thing I'd propose
> right now, is to split this information into a page of its own, perhaps
> titled "Using RKWard output" (suggested page id: "rkward_output", and
> linking to that (also from "RKWard for R users").

Totally consent here. I was starting on a separate page but since I stopped my
entries I moved them to an existing page.

> This should give us more
> room to detail various tips and tricks and issues without making the other
> pages too complex (further/future topics on that page might include how to
> put results in the output from the console, a reminder to flush the output
> once in a while, how to back it up, properly, etc.).

Well, a lot to do. I would say. I was thinking about the help issue anyway.
The more help pages we have the more difficult it is to find something. Is
there a way to "link" the entries to the "R help system" currently
implemented in RKWard? I don't know the technical background but think it
would be nice to see the RKWard help also as an entry there.

> Regards
> Thomas

Stefan