[RkWard-devel] HTML output

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Mar 21 17:12:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 22:53, Stefan Roediger wrote:
> I added some information about the usage of the HTML output in an external
> application. Actually I planed to add some sentences about images and so on
> too. But while I was testing my ideas I stumbled over some thins. I found
> that KWord handles HTML really poor in contrast to OpenOffice.org. Images
> are not shown on KWord when imported from HTML and tables look different
> (though still correct regarding the content). Moreover copy and paste is
> limited too. Or one can drag and drop images from RKWard within KDE for
> example in KWord, OpenOffice.org or Konqueror but should I mention this? Is
> this only a KDE feature (would it work on Gnome  ...)? What are your
> thoughts or ideas how external application can be used for further
> processing of results? I would like to give the inexperienced (RKWard) user
> some starting points. I find this issue rather important since one goal of
> RKWard is to "take care of seamless integration with an office-suite".

this is certainly the goal that we've made the least progress on so far, so
indeed some help on that would be a good thing to cover up for the
deficiencies of the app itself.

I have not looked at your questions, in details, yet. One thing I'd propose
right now, is to split this information into a page of its own, perhaps
titled "Using RKWard output" (suggested page id: "rkward_output", and linking
to that (also from "RKWard for R users"). This should give us more room to
detail various tips and tricks and issues without making the other pages too
complex (further/future topics on that page might include how to put results
in the output from the console, a reminder to flush the output once in a
while, how to back it up, properly, etc.).