[RkWard-devel] need a little help..

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Mar 21 12:01:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 22:31, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> 1. How to read the value of a R variable in php? Like:
>    $php_variable = ?> r.variable <?;
>    Obviously the above is not going work. Any solution?

no solution exists, at the moment. Something like this could theoretically be
added, but see below.

> 2. If the above is not possible then, is there any inbuilt php math
> function to calculate the gamma functions. For positive integers, gamma(n)
> = (n-1)!. How do I get the values for general gamma functions?

Admittedly, I have not searched for some, but I don't think this would exist
in PHP.

> Basically I need them to calculate the expectation and variance of
> t,weibull distributions.

I'm afraid, I don't fully understand, why you need the values in PHP, though.
Is there no chance to calculate all in R? Could you provide some pseudo-code
to illustrate the problem?

If reasonably possible, I'd really prefer to keep all the major logic in R,
and not pass anything back to PHP. One reason for this is concerns about
timing. The other reason is that I'd like to keep all significant going ons
visible to the user (if interested). The PHP code is not easily visible to
the user, so all it should do is translate user settings into R code, no more
than that.