[RkWard-devel] Plotting options

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Mar 1 17:15:26 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 12:26, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> If it is to be used only in plugins here is thought I made. We can make a
> new plugin or add it in plot options. We can use the par() in try{}. In
> this way both preview and result have the settings we make. We can use a
> TRUE/FALSE option for RKWard or R settings. In this way nobody gets
> disturbed. If we find that one is preferable than the other in the future
> we could remove this option.

I think it's no good to try to seek a "real quick" solution for this, but
rather first spend some time thinking what could be the best way, and how
this might generalize to further problems.

Some points to keep in mind are that we will have to support whatever solution
we come up with consistently in all plugins, be able to adjust it
consistently, in case we ever want to change the defaults, provide
configurability, and not introduce too much complexity that we will have to
deal with later.

Introducing a par() call may the a decent solution, but I'd rather not rush
any decision on this, before being reasonably certain, we have found a good
solution.

> Also, but I do not agree with this we could give some options to the user
> about what color wants as background etc. I disagree with this because I
> believe that is better to offer something special to the user (Wehn
> somebosy sees the plot to say this was made with RKWard). Moreover if the
> user decides for example a black background he has to change the color of
> the plot componets which will lead to a mess probably. There are many
> options of gray for background (from white to black (1-100)), which we
> could use.

I don't think it's our job to protect the user from him/herself. Also I think
we must not impose marketing decisions on the user. We can create an RKWard
look, alright, but if we do, I think it absolutely has to be easily
configurable. As long as users are happy with such a default, they will never
touch it, anyway. But if they are not, they need an easy way to change it.