[rkward-devel] Installation problem using Ubuntu and some suggestions

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:52:02 UTC 2007

HI,

On Monday 02 July 2007 01:04:24 pm Stefan Roediger wrote:
> Am Montag, 2. Juli 2007 13:35:24 schrieb Matthieu Stigler:
[..snip..]
> > -Could you integer the xlsReadWrite package? This is unfortunately only
> > available for Windows but is a very useful function!
>
> I checked for xlsReadWrite via RKWard and
> found version 1.3.2 to be there ready for download, thus it should also be
> available for Linux.

I was tryng to do exactly the same thing. It turns out that it is windows
ONLY. The configure script of xlsReadWrite is exactly the following:

$ cat configure
echo "Package 'xlsReadWrite' is (currently) only intended for Windows."
exit 1

It just bails out from installation. The authors' page
 (http://treetron.googlepages.com/xlsreadwrite.htm) mentions the following:

Windows only (unless someone sponsors a port)
or we eventually need a Linux version too...

In fact I was surprised to see that they have a Pro version (pay money) for
their package, which adds some more "goodies" than the free version...
 (http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/xlsReadWrite.html),

Regards
PK