[rkward-devel] Installation problem using Ubuntu and some suggestions

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:34:42 UTC 2007

Hi Matthieu,

Follow Illias's suggestions. I'll add a few minor points..

On Monday 02 July 2007 07:35:24 am Matthieu Stigler wrote:
> I want first to thank you very much for you work! I used much SPlus on
> Windows and now with Ubuntu is R interesting but too complicate to use
> without graphical interface... So your program RKward is really
> interesting and useful! Thanks a lot and please continue it!

If you are a new Windows to Linux convert then, welcome to the Open world...

> _*Bug*_
> I had problem for the installation of RKward on Ubuntu. Maybe is it
> because you made it for KDE?
> -using the synaptic package manager to download the 0.4.2-2 version, I
> have:
>mat at openedwin:~$ rkward &

This is not a solution, but just a suggestion. rkward actually needs the
konsole to run R. So, it is advisable not to background the process
using "&". Some important error/warning messages will be echoed there. May be
you can do this:

$ xterm -hold -e rkward &

So, that you can still work on the terminal (konsole/gnome-terminal) without
any messages echoed from rkward, as well as have those messages echoed to the
xterm so that you can track them.

> [1] 11890
> mat at openedwin:~$ X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input
> device 169
>   Major opcode:  145
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 169
>   Major opcode:  145
>   Minor opcode:  3
>   Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> Debug-flags as decimal: 8191

try to upgrade (R and RKWard) and see.

> kdecore (KAction): WARNING: KAction::insertKAccel( kaccel = 0x81dcc48 ):
> KAccel object already contains an action name "window_close"

we (KDE users) get this too. this is not an issue.

[..snip..]

> -Could you integer the xlsReadWrite package? This is unfortunately only
> available for Windows but is a very useful function!

I have never used it, but a quick googleing gave the following: Look at the
r-cran-gdata package in the Ubuntu repository..

http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/math/r-cran-gdata
http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/gdata.html

It has a xls2csv binary file which I presume is used by read.xls which claims
to read xls files, though unfortunately there is no write.xls.

Best
PK