[RkWard-devel] Context sensitive history

Roland Vollgraf vro at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sun Jan 14 13:00:11 UTC 2007

Hi,

beeing new to R (coming from MATLAB) I'm quite amazed how mighty the RKWard GUI
in its early development state already is. One feature, which I most frequently
made use of in the MATLAB-GUI, however, is missing so far:  context sensitive
scrolling in the command history. That is, you type the first few characters of
your new command, and KEY_UP and KEY_DOWN present you only those commands in the
history that start with even these charcters.

So I've implemented this feature myself. It required some additional lines of
code and modifications in rconsole.cpp and rconsole.h . I implemeted it in the
way that KEY_UP and KEY_DOWN activate the context sensitive history, and
SHIFT+KEY_UP/SHIFT+KEY_DOWN use the old history scrolling method. Further I
excluded duplicate history lines (i.e. adjacent, equal command strings), which I
think makes history brwosing much more comfortable.

Thus, if others also find these features useful, I'd like to contribute it to
the RKWard project. I made my modifications to SVN revision 1137. So what should
I do now? Commit my changes to the repository (anonymously? is that possible at
all)? Send patches to someone?

Best regards,

Roland