[RkWard-devel] Context sensitive history

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Jan 14 15:46:32 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Sunday 14 January 2007 14:00, Roland Vollgraf wrote:
> beeing new to R (coming from MATLAB) I'm quite amazed how mighty the RKWard
> GUI in its early development state already is. One feature, which I most
> frequently made use of in the MATLAB-GUI, however, is missing so far:
> context sensitive scrolling in the command history. That is, you type the
> first few characters of your new command, and KEY_UP and KEY_DOWN present
> you only those commands in the history that start with even these
> charcters.

this sounds pretty useful, indeed.

> So I've implemented this feature myself. It required some additional lines
> of code and modifications in rconsole.cpp and rconsole.h . I implemeted it
> in the way that KEY_UP and KEY_DOWN activate the context sensitive history,
> and SHIFT+KEY_UP/SHIFT+KEY_DOWN use the old history scrolling method.
> Further I excluded duplicate history lines (i.e. adjacent, equal command
> strings), which I think makes history brwosing much more comfortable.

Maybe it would be a good idea to do it the other way around (SHIFT+UP/DOWN for
context sensitive history) to avoid confusion. On the other hand, then this
useful feature would not be quite as easily discoverable. Not sure on that,
yet (and might make it configurable).

Excluding duplicate history lines sounds like a good idea, as well.

> Thus, if others also find these features useful, I'd like to contribute it
> to the RKWard project. I made my modifications to SVN revision 1137. So
> what should I do now? Commit my changes to the repository (anonymously? is
> that possible at all)? Send patches to someone?

No, you can't commit anonymously, but you can produce a patch with svn diff.
The easiest way to get in the patch is to post it on this list.

Looking forward to your patch. Thanks!