[RkWard-devel] RKWard 0.4.6

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Feb 16 10:27:46 UTC 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 23:38, Stefan Roediger wrote:
> But something that I did not think about while the new import plug-ins were
> emerging is that users might get confused if they import a SPSS file or any
> other data and try to find it. Of course the right place to look at is the
> workspace. But in my setup workspace is hidden. Even If user find it they
> might be confused how to see the data in a tabular output. I guess you know
> what I mean. Therefore I think it's better to but the data immediately in a
> Data editor tab or to ask the user where to put the data.
> For now I have put this issue on my todo-list for the help file.

I suppose, all we need would be an additional checkbox "open for editing". If
checked, it would generate the command

rk.edit (object.name)

. So far so easy. One thing I'd like to make sure, however, is that it would
be nice, if the user could globally configure whether that box should be
checked by default (currently, the default can only be set statically in
the .xml). Perhaps also a sub-ordinated option "only when less than X total
cells", to avoid people opening *huge* objects in the editor by accident.
Alternatively (and maybe better), this check could be moved to rk.edit()
directly, and it could warn/ask every time a very large object is opened.