[RkWard-devel] RKWard and other encondings

I. Soumpasis nono.231 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 16:05:05 UTC 2007

Well probably, I was not sufficient. I mean if someone can select to run
RKWard in other encoding. For example, when I run R through a konsole, I set
locale to ISO88597, and I turn the konsole's encoding to ISO-8859-7,
otherwise, the greek (in iso) are not readable.

To come to rkward, I can input output through rkward's konsole only in
UTF-8, I cannot read objects in ISO-8859-7. To plot in X11, I have to select
special fonts (like grarial), which I do, with par. (par(family="grarial").
I can do this from the plugins. If RKWard could run using a different
encoding would solve most of these problems. I am aware of new problems that
would be created. But can RKWard run on a different locale - encoding? I do
not know anything about this, so excuse me if this is a silly question.

I have already made a function to turn R locale to ISO-8859-7 and load all
available greek fonts, but without using the right encoding in the frontend
(konsole or rkward) isn't very usefull.

I hope I was more clear this time.

For databases. I have tried only rmysql but without greek data, and I do not
know if and when I can do some testing.