[RkWard-devel] RKWard and other encondings

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Feb 11 16:53:38 UTC 2007

On Sunday 11 February 2007 17:05, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> Well probably, I was not sufficient. I mean if someone can select to run
> RKWard in other encoding.

Ok, I see, now. Well, the encoding RKWard runs in is affected by the
environment variables KDE_LANG and the difference locale variable (most
noteably LC_CTYPE for the character encoding).

> For example, when I run R through a konsole, I
> set locale to ISO88597, and I turn the konsole's encoding to ISO-8859-7,
> otherwise, the greek (in iso) are not readable.

How exactly do you set the locale? It should be possible to do the same when
starting rkward, probably. For instance, what do you get, if you start rkward
with
# LC_ALL=el_GR.ISO-8859-7 rkward
? Does this fix things? What do you get, when you run
> Sys.getlocale ()
in the console (in plain R and rkward)?

If this is in fact the issue, we'd just need a good way to allow the user to
specify the locale to use on startup. However, no good idea on this, yet.