[rkward-devel] New plugin and functions

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sun Apr 15 16:59:26 UTC 2007

Hi Ilias,

On Saturday 14 April 2007 10:42, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> I uploaded a new plugin, the crosstabs plugin. I wait for recommendations,
> corrections etc.

I currently have a bit of a backlog of mails to take care of, so no in depth
feedback for now. I'll try to take care of this soon, if I don't feel free to
send me a nag mail.

> I also wrote three functions:

[...]

> I want to do things on time series and quality controls but the time is
> very limited. My rationale is to create simple functions and plugins to be
> used by business, and to be as close as it can to what they allready know
> in order not to be discouraged.

I think the best way to add these would be as embeddable plugins.

> Do you believe that these functions have a place in rkward? If yes should
> they just be embedded in the php files or should they be as functions in
> the package (or in an other package) and then called from the php file as
> functions? I was also thinking of creating a package but I am not sure for
> now.

I suggest the following procedure: First add them inline in one or two php
files where they are relevant. Then we have an easy way to review them, and
make any adjustments, as necessary. Next we'd think about with other plugins
would benefit from these functions. If it's more than a select few, we'd
create an embeddable plugin (or several ones) for them.

For lmtry (the question Prasenjit was asking): There is a <formula> widget for
use in plugins, and it can do some rather basic editing of linear models. It
is not well tested, as it is not really in use as of now. Perhaps - if you
can find the time - you could still give it a try, and then we can see what
should be improved, and how.