[rkward-devel] New plugin and functions

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Apr 18 21:59:23 UTC 2007

Hi Ilias,

On Saturday 14 April 2007 10:42, I. Soumpasis wrote:
> I uploaded a new plugin, the crosstabs plugin. I wait for recommendations,
> corrections etc.

ok, I had a first look at the plugin. Certainly a rather important one.

Some rather general comments:
1) The barplot functionality should be made an embedded plugin so the code can
be shared between the standalone barplot and this one. If you don't know how
to approach this, I can take a look, later, but if you have the time to look
at this, that would certainly be good.

2) Same actually for the chisquare test, except we don't have this as a
standalone plugin, yet.

3) Perhaps the most basic: table() will happily take any number of arguments.
Barplot and chisquare will only work on two-dimensional tables, but the
crosstabulation itself is not limited in this way. We could make it so that
the chisquare and barplot options are only available if there are no more
than two objects selected (I'll need to add some simple C code to make this
possible). Would this sound like a good solution?

4) Some of the code in the PHP file should be moved to the calculate section.

5) You can directly use the xy object also for the chisq.test.

6) Don't be afraid to create temporary variables any more. Esp. for the
chisq.test(), it is not necessary to actually calculate the test three times.
I suggest rewriting this to:

# in calculate()
chisqres <- chisq (xy)

# in printout()
rk.results (list
('Statistic'=chisqres$statistic, 'df'=chisqres$parameter, 'p-value'=chisqres$p.value))

7) Disabling the <preview> does not work well (but this is something for me to
take care of).